Monday, September 14, 2009
Best treatment for tennis elbow? NYC
I have been treating patient in my NYC practice for years with "Tennis elbow".
Bing,the new search engine had a nice ad on top of NYC cabs,
Best treatment for tennis elbow, Heat or Ice? Bing you decide.
Some of my insight.
What exactly is Tennis elbow?
So by defintion "Tennis elbow" is Lateral Epicondlyitis ,Tennis elbow is an inflammation, soreness, or pain on the outside (lateral) side of the upper arm near the elbow. There may be a partial tear of the tendon fibers, which connect muscle to bone, at or near their point of origin on the outside of the elbow.
This can happen from any repetitive motion, My father had it years ago and he never even picked up a tennis raquet!!! My father hammered nails all day. But calling it lateral epicondylitis doesn't sound as good.
I will always go with ice. ICE brings down the inflamation and helps to reduce pain.
When I treat patients for this chronic condition treatment usually involves Graston technique,to break up the adhesions-more on Graston technique below.
Tennis elbow treatment NYC
* Separates and breaks down collagen cross-links, and splays and stretches connective tissue and muscle fibers
* Increases skin temperature
* Facilitates reflex changes in the chronic muscle holding pattern
* Alters spinal reflux activity (facilitated segment)
* Increases the rate and amount of blood flow to and from the area
* Increases cellular activity in the region, including fibroblasts and mast cells
* Increases histamine response secondary to mast cell activity
I also like to use Cold laser therapy with the Erchonia 635 NM. laser to decrease pain and inflamation.
I like to use Kinesio tape over and around muscles in order to assist and give support or to prevent over-contraction.
If your elbow is bothering you in NYC visit www.livingwellnewyork.com